CyberTracker Conservation NPC (“we”, “us”, “our” or CyberTracker”) is a non-profit company that promotes the vision of a worldwide environmental monitoring network. CyberTracker Online is created and managed by CyberTracker. CyberTracker has developed and distributed free software that can be used for data gathering and visualisation for conservation and other uses.
What data do we collect?
Categories of data
CyberTracker collects the following personal data when you use the CyberTracker Platforms:
- Personal identification information (name, email address).
- Your organisation’s information (organisation name, projects).
- Applications you have created on CyberTracker Online.
- Data collected and uploaded by you using CyberTracker Online.
- Usage data (IP address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our CyberTracker Platforms that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data).
Special personal information
In limited circumstances, we may ask you to provide your special personal information. When we process your special personal information we will ensure that we get your consent to do so. In addition, your use of CyberTracker Online may include uploading special personal information. Such use of CyberTracker Online is not within our control and you warrant that any special personal information has been lawfully obtained and processed by you on CyberTracker Online, and you hereby indemnify CyberTracker for any losses we might suffer as a result of your breach of this warranty.
Children’s personal data
The access and use of the CyberTracker Platforms is not intended for children under 18, and we do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. Where you are using CyberTracker Online for educational purposes in schools, you warrant that any personal data relating to a child has been lawfully obtained and processed by you on CyberTracker Online, and indemnify CyberTracker for any losses we might suffer as a result of your breach of this warranty. To reduce your risk, we recommend that you implement appropriate measures to avoid identifying a child for example, anonymising or pseudonymising their personal data.
It is not mandatory for you to provide us with your personal data in order to access the CyberTracker Platforms. If you choose not to do so, there may be features of the CyberTracker Platforms that you might not be able to use, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services, or respond to any queries you may have.
How do we collect your data?
- You directly provide CyberTracker with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register on our CyberTracker Platforms.
- Accept an invitation to join an organisation in CyberTracker Online.
- Create a mobile application.
- Synch observation data.
- Upload data to CyberTracker Online.
- Make changes to your or your organisation’s personal data on the CyberTracker Platforms.
- We may also receive your data indirectly from the following sources:
- We use Google Analytics, which monitors information about how you use our CyberTracker Platforms, and from which device.
How will we use your data?
- CyberTracker collects your data so that we can:
- Manage your account, allow you to log in and use the CyberTracker Platforms.
- Improve our software, for example by monitoring which screen resolutions our users are making use of and making sure we cater for those.
- Perform our obligations under a contract with you regarding any products, items or services you have purchased or any other contract with us.
- Attend to and manage any requests you make to us.
- We will not share your data with any other party, unless:
- The other party is an affiliate or business partner of CyberTracker.
- We have a written contract in place with a third party operator.
- We are involved in a legal process, and it is necessary to share the data with other parties in order to protect our legal rights.
- It is required to do so by law.
- During the course of a fraudulent transaction investigation.
How do we store your data?
- CyberTracker securely stores your data using secure storage services hosted and managed within the Microsoft Azure cloud.
- We reserve the right to change where and how we securely host your data if required by operational needs.
- You can send us a request for details of specifically where your data is stored at any time using the contact details provided below.
- We will keep your data for as long as:
- You are actively using the CyberTracker Platforms, for example while you still have an active account.
- It is required in order to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements and policies.
Security of your data
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Transfer of your data
- We are based in and operate from South Africa. Your data, including personal identifiable information, may be transferred to and maintained on servers located outside of your country of residence, where the data privacy laws, regulations and standards, may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence.
- We might transfer your data to places outside of South Africa and store it there, where our suppliers might process it. If that happens, your data will only be transferred to and stored in a country that has equivalent, or better, data protection legislation than South Africa or with a service provider which is subject to an agreement requiring it to comply with data protection requirements equivalent or better than those applicable in South Africa.
- Your use of the CyberTracker Platforms, followed by your submission of information to us, represents your consent to such transfer.
- CyberTracker would like to send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might want to use.
- If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date.
- You have the right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing purposes.
- If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please edit your Profile while logged into the CyberTracker Platforms.
What is your data protection rights?
- CyberTracker would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights.
- As a data subject, you are entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request CyberTracker for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service. Your personal data is also available for you to view while logged in to our CyberTracker Platforms.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that CyberTracker correct any information you believe is inaccurate.
- You also have the right to request CyberTracker to complete information you believe is incomplete. You are able to edit most of your personal data while logged in to our website.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that CyberTracker erase your personal data, under certain conditions, for example once we are no longer required to maintain it by law, or once you no longer wish to use the CyberTracker Platforms.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that CyberTracker restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to CyberTracker’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to withdraw consent – If you have given your consent to anything we do with your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that CyberTracker transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the regulatory authority applicable to our processing of your personal data – You have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the relevant regulatory authority about how we process your data.
- If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please:
- If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please contact us using the above details alternatively edit your profile while logged into our CyberTracker Platforms.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour Information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology, including the use of Google Analytics.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality — CyberTracker uses these cookies to allow you to log in and stay logged in.
- Development — CyberTracker uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the pages you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. This is so that we can improve our product, for example making sure that we are catering for all the browsers that our users are using.
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in this case, you may not be able to log in and use our website.
Privacy policies of other websites
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that CyberTracker has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, we hope that you would first let us know so that we can help address your concerns.
- For processing of personal data in terms of South African laws, you may contact the Information Regulator of South Africa at:
- Email: POPIAComplaints@inforegulator.org.za
- Website: https://inforegulator.org.za/
- Physical address: JD House, 27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
- Please let us know if you would like the contact details of any other data protection authorities in other countries.